Saturday, January 14, 2012

Short Review: Karma by Cathy Ostlere

Synopsis: On October 31, 1984, Indira Gandhi is gunned down by two Sikh bodyguards. The murder sparks riots in Delhi and for three days Sikh families are targeted and killed in retribution for the Prime Minister’s death. It is into this chaos that sixteen-year-old Maya and her Sikh father, Amar, arrive from their home in Canada. India’s political instability is the backdrop and catalyst for Maya’s awakening to the world. KARMA is the story of how a young woman, straddling two cultures and enduring personal loss, learns forgiveness, acceptance and love.






Book Details: 
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin)
Pub. Date: 3/31/11
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 528


My Review:
Well this is going to be a really short review for a really long book. I liked that it was written in verse, and because of this I actually felt like I was reading it pretty quickly. There was only one problem I had with this book, it took me forever to get into it. When I did get into this novel I really liked it. The subject matter is based on true events and the story was just sad. It made me appreciate the life that I have. There was a little love story in this book and the connection between the MC and the boy was sweet. I would recommend this novel to anyone looking for a book written in verse. Nice debut from Cathy Ostlere. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

No comments: